Spreadsheet Tools for River Evaluation, Assessment, and Monitoring (STREAM) Modules
Stream physical condition is increasingly a priority for resource managers. Assessment, monitoring and restoration techniques continue to be developed and standardized. Toward these ends a suite of spreadsheet tools, the STREAM Modules, has been developed by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources and Ohio State University. The modules, developed to assess and educate users on both channel form and channel function, can do the following actions:
- Reducing channel survey data and calculating basic bankfull hydraulic characteristics.
- Determining the dimensions of typical channel form and the equilibrium state of channel systems including meander pattern.
- Illustrating the difference between existing and proposed channel form.
- Calculating, via expanded and condensed forms, critical dimensionless shear, boundary roughness and common bed load equations.
- Computing hydraulic and bed load characteristics in a side-by-side comparison of two channels of different user-defined forms.
Appendix - Calculation Descriptions